Herring Gut's Coastal Outreach Programs for schools, libraries, and community groups give up to 30 participants a chance to see and touch what lives in a tidal pool, clings to the rocky shore, burrows in the sand, or swims freely, while gaining a greater appreciation for marine environments and protection.
These traveling learning experiences, which are aligned with the Maine Learning Results, are designed with the same hands-on philosophy that permeates all of our programming. Programs can be presented in your classroom, at our facility in Port Clyde, or in the field. We are also happy to work with you to personally tailor a program to meet your specific needs.
Let our marine science educators help you inspire curiosity and promote an understanding of marine ecosystems to a new generation of Maine children.
Tidal PoolsNature's Aquariums
Learn what causes the tides and what plants and animals live in tidal pools. Also see and touch many of the pool's inhabitants!
Sharks- Learn the myths and mysteries about sharks and which sharks can be found off the coast of Maine. Shark biology, behavior, and interactive games will ensure a jaw-
dropping good time.
The Secret Lives of Squid
These elusive mollusks will be the topic of the day. Learn about their lives, secrets, and anatomy.
Learn about the life of a lobster, and its crazy crustacean cousins, as we investigate their life cycles, habitats, and anatomies in this exciting hands-on program.
The world impacts the oceans every day of the year. Learn how debris affects the oceans, and discover what you can do to protect our wonderful waters.
Salt Marsh Ecosystems
Learn hands-on about these amazing wetlands, including the different zones of a salt marsh community, the unique adaptations of salt marsh plants and animals, and the many benefits of a healthy salt marsh.
Fishing Out the Source
Learn the various modern fishing techniques, how your dinner was caught, and which practices are the best for our environment. Recommended for ages 7+.
A Fish Story
Join us in exploring hands-on the many amazing features and life styles of bony fish that allow them to swim freely in the shallowest of waters to the bottom of the sea.
Sun, Sand, and Sea
Learn how beaches are formed, discover what makes up a grain of sand, and learn about the amazing animals and plants that thrive on Maine.s coast.
The Life of a Horseshoe Crab
Understand the life history of this often misunderstood ancient creature and its importance to humans.
Learn to identify the most common seaweeds found in Maine and create your own seaweed pressing from a variety of seaweed types. *An additional $25 charge covers the cost of laminating and mailing the completed seaweed pressings.
Rates and Additional Information
- $150 per one hour program; $200 for 1 1/2 hour program
- $100 per one hour program, additional hours/same day
- $50 additional fee for customized program
- 50 cents per mile if site is over 40 miles from HGLC
- Ages up to 5, maximum group size of 20; ages 6 and up, maximum group size of 30
- Larger groups will be split into several classes.
- Program must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance.
- Trained instructor(s) will lead and teach the programs; the number of instructors is dependent on class size, topic, and the number of adult chaperones.
- Programs are taught rain or shine (see website for appropriate clothing).
Payment and Cancellations
- Payment is due in full on the day of the program or before.
- If HGLC must cancel a full refund is provided.
- Schools/organizations that cancel less than 30 days prior to the program will be billed for 50 percent of the cost or the program may be rescheduled within the current school year.
- Program participants are entitled to a 10% discount on our summer camp programs for one year. Forms will be distributed to groups at the time of the presentation.
- We encourage schools, parent groups, and libraries to seek funding through local businesses and associations, mini-grants, and fundraisers. We will be happy to assist you in these processes.
- In addition, we have a limited amount of scholarship funds available; please inquire about eligibility.
For additional information or to request a program, please contact our outreach coordinator at 207-372-8677 ext 105 or send an e-mail to: email@example.com.